Self-assessment for ex pats

3 mins

You might be wondering whether you need any information about taxation in the UK if you live abroad but we’re sorry to say that you might still be expected to fill in a self-assessment tax return, even if you do live overseas. There’s no need to worry though, our team of experts are here to talk you through it. At DSR Tax Refunds, we aim to take the stress out of taxation matters. If you’re still unsure of where you stand, give our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972 and let us help you out.
Do ex-pats have to pay tax in the UK?
This isn’t an easy yes or no answer and can depend on many things. Where does your income come from? What is your UK resident status? Your best bet here is to get the experts involved – DSR Tax Refunds are a team of tax experts and they will be able to look at your unique personal circumstances and let you know what your UK tax liability is. Call us on 0330 122 9972 and we can sort it all out for you.
However, there are some general points we can make here:

HMRC uses a standard residency test to work out whether you are liable to pay UK tax and they base it on the length of time you spend in the UK in any tax year. If you spent less than 46 days in the UK this tax year and were classed as a non-resident for the previous three years, then you will be classed as a non-resident and should be exempt from UK tax. However, when it comes to sorting out your residency status, it can get complicated so your best plan would be to contact our experts on 0330 122 9972 and we can work out those complexities for you.
What if you live permanently abroad?
If you have a permanent home abroad and therefore don’t count as a UK resident, you still might be liable to pay UK tax in certain circumstances, such as receiving rental income from UK property, being a director of a UK registered company or working in the UK for periods of time. If any of these apply to you, you will need to fill in a self-assessment tax return on that UK income.
What if you are a non-domiciled resident?
If you are a non-domiciled resident then your permanent home is abroad but you are still classed as a UK resident. The rules surrounding non-domiciled status are incredibly complex and you should seek expert tax advice. Call our specialist team on 0330 122 9972 and they can give you professional advice on your particular circumstances.
How do you know how much tax you need to pay to HMRC?
You will need to fill in a self-assessment tax return on your income and HMRC will calculate any tax owing. You can do it all online so you don’t need to worry that you aren’t in the UK. Of course, if you are a DSR Tax Refunds client, we can take care of your self-assessment return for you so that you know that it has all been calculated by the experts. Call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 and let us take the strain out of your UK tax affairs.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.