What is a UTR

3 mins

As if tax isn’t complicated enough without being bamboozled by all of these acronyms, like UTR, AMAP, CGT and so on! Luckily, our team of experts are on hand to impart a bit of our expert knowledge so that you don’t feel quite so out of your depth when you are dealing with your taxes. You could also check out our handy online calculator to see if you are owed a tax rebate, and if you are, give our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972 and that money could be back in your account in 21 days.
So, what is a UTR?
A UTR, or Unique Taxpayer Reference number, is a 10-digit number which is unique to you (or your company, if it applies to your company instead of you personally) and which HMRC use to identify you personally with your tax obligations. It will be included in all correspondence from HMRC so that you can be sure that HMRC haven’t got your tax details mixed up with anyone else’s. You will be issued with a UTR number when you register as self-employed.
How can you find it?
As mentioned, it will be shown on all correspondence from HMRC so you will be able to find it on any old letters you might have received from HMRC. Other places you will find it include:

If you lose your UTR, you need to contact HMRC to get it reissued to you.
How can you get a UTR number?
HMRC will automatically send you a UTR number when you either register as self-employed or set up a limited company.  When you register, they will “Welcome to self-assessment” (SA250) letter but be warned, they can take a while to come through the post so make sure that you leave yourself plenty of time between registering and the self-assessment deadline of 31st of January or you will leave yourself at risk of getting a penalty for missing the deadline. HMRC state that it can take up to 20 days to receive your UTR and before they can send it, they need to confirm your identity. They will only send the UTR through the post – you can’t get it any other way.
What you need to register for a UTR number?
You will need to provide HMRC with the following information to be set up as self-employed and receive your UTR number through the post:

Why you need a UTR?
If you are registered as self-employed, you will need a UTR number for the following:

If you are self-employed, you need to register for a UTR number with HMRC and you can get into big trouble with HMRC if you don’t. If you are part of a business partnership, you will need to get a UTR for the company and an individual one for each partner. Similarly, a company also needs its own UTR and will be issued when the company is first set up and registered. Without your UTR number you won’t be able to file your tax returns.
Dealing with your taxes can be a tricky and complicated affair, which is why is can be invaluable to involve a firm of tax experts like DSR Tax Refunds, who can help you through all of these difficult areas and save you the hassle of dealing with HMRC yourself – call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.