Tax refunds for teachers

3 mins

You might be looking through our helpful guides to tax refunds and be wondering whether it applies to you as a teacher. We at DSR Tax Refunds are pleased to say that you could also potentially be eligible to reclaim overpaid taxes – let our team of experts guide you through the process. You can also check out our handy online calculator and if you are eligible for a tax refund, our friendly and professional team would be delighted to take the strain out of the paperwork for you – after all, as a teacher you probably see enough forms as it is! Call us on 0330 122 9972 and let us start your claim today.

What expenses are eligible for a tax refund?

As a rule of thumb, if you are left out of pocket as a result of doing your job, then it is likely you can claim those expenses as tax relief. Some of the expenses that could be eligible include:

If you have incurred any of these expenses as part of your job, you should be able to claim these back as a tax refund and these refunds can be backdated for up to four years. Call our expert team on 0330 122 9972 and we will make sure you are not left out of pocket.

What about self-employed teachers?

If you are a self-employed teacher or tutor then you will need to pay your taxes via the self-assessment system, and you will account for your expenses in your tax return. However, if you aren’t aware of the full extent of your allowable expenses then you may end up paying far more tax then you should be. Speak to our team of experts on 0330 122 9972 and if you have already paid too much tax in previous tax years, we can backdate your claim for up to four years.

Similarly, if you are employed full-time as a teacher but earn additional income outside of your main job, you will need to declare that income through the self-assessment system. Whether it is income from rented property, from tutoring outside of your school hours or income from another stream entirely, you will need to declare it to HMRC.

So, what happens now?

If you have checked our online calculator and it looks like you are eligible for a refund, call our friendly team of experts on 0330 122 9972. We can ensure that we claim for every single thing you are entitled to but you don’t need to worry that we will overclaim and leave you in trouble with HMRC. We only claim what you are entitled to and not a penny more. Our refunds are guaranteed 100% HMRC-safe and the money could be back with you within 21 days of submission of your claim to HMRC. And better than that, we take care of all the paperwork for you so you don’t need to spend your evenings filling in forms. Not for your tax refund anyway!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.