What information do you need for your tax refund?

3 mins

Our specialists explain the most common types of paperwork required for a refund claim

Our tax preparation specialists at DSR Tax Refunds Ltd want to take the stress out of your tax refund claim, while claiming your maximum amount, and we know that many of our clients have questions about the kind of information they need to provide in order to make the process work as smoothly as possible. With this in mind, we have put together this guide to help you so you know what kind of information we will need from you and when.

UTR Number

In order for us to act on your behalf, we need your UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) if you have one already. This is a 10-digit number from HMRC which is unique to you and allows HMRC to record all your tax information, if you are self-employed or complete a tax return, so they don’t get you mixed up with someone else. Don’t worry if you don’t have one because we can apply for a  number on your behalf, but if you already have one, it speeds up the process for you.


If you are employed, you get a P60 at the end of each tax year to show how much you have been paid and how much tax has been deducted on your behalf. You usually get these around May after the end of the tax year and they are really useful to keep hold of, not just for your tax refund claim but also because you will need them if you want to apply for a mortgage or any other kind of loan. If you are self-employed you won’t get a P60, so you will need to provide us with details of your income over the tax years you want to claim for.


If your employer provides you with any taxable benefits, such as a company vehicle or private medical insurance, they will also need to provide you with a P11D to show how much tax they have deducted on your behalf for these benefits.

Mileage details

If you travel to temporary workplaces and sites for your job, you may be able to claim for your mileage so you need to keep a record of where you are working and how often you travel there – that way we can help you to calculate your mileage.


If you want to claim for any tools you have bought which you required for your job, we’re going to need your receipts so it is always useful to keep them in a safe pace – or take a photo of them on your phone or camera. If you are claiming for board and lodgings while working away, you will need to hang on to those receipts too. Don’t forget, you can only claim for these if you haven’t been reimbursed by your employer.

Records of any other income

This won’t apply to everyone, but if you have other forms of income – such as rental income, shares and investments or foreign income – you will need to have these records to hand. In order to paint the full picture of your taxes, we will need to know about other forms of income which might not be recorded on your P60.

Details of any benefits you have received

If you have received any benefits, such as statutory sick pay or maternity pay, over the course of the tax year, we will need that information as these are taxable benefits. If either you or your partner earn over £50,000 per year and receive child benefit, you could be subject to the High Income Child Benefit Charge so that is something to keep in mind when you look at any benefits you receive as it is quite easy to overlook, especially if you aren’t the one receiving the child benefit.

It might sound like we need a lot of information but our friendly team are at hand to help you if you aren’t sure what you need to provide and they can also help you to get hold of any of that information if you don’t already have it. If you don’t have these records to hand, often your employer or HMRC can help recreate that missing information but our Tax Compliance Officers can tell you what you need to do.

Start your tax refund claim today

At DSR Tax Refunds Ltd, we aim to take the strain out of your taxes so if you think you are entitled to a tax refund, call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 and get started on your refund claim today. We take care of all the paperwork on your behalf and we even deal with HMRC so you don’t have to.

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.