3 mins

Our experts at DSR Tax Refunds know how hard it is to find good, quality information about HMRC’s tax regulations that is easy to understand, and that’s why we have created these handy guides to tell you everything you need to know. Our aim is to make life easier for our clients and that is why we want to share our expertise with you. You can also call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
What is included as a clothing expense?
As part of clothing expense rules, HMRC includes everything related to the provision of clothing for your employees – so this includes the purchase of clothing, the laundry costs and any repair costs. Whether you have to report these expenses to HMRC and pay any additional National Insurance or tax depends on whether it is protective clothing that is required for your employee to do their job or a uniform that they only wear at work.
Are there any exemptions?
No additional tax or National Insurance is payable on most uniforms or protective clothing but these expenses will still need to be reported to HMRC. It will also need to be reported to HMRC if it forms part of a salary sacrifice agreement.
How should it be reported to HMRC?
If the clothing isn’t classed as exempt, not only will you have to report it to HMRC but you might also have to pay tax and National Insurance on the value of the clothing provided.

How do you work out the value?
The value you assign to the clothing for HMRC purposes depends on whether you lend or give the clothing and who initially pays for it.

How can DSR Tax Refunds help?
We aim to make life as simple as possible for our clients and that includes giving you the information you need to make your taxes (and your life) simpler and less stressful.  Our team of experts at DSR Tax Refunds are always on hand to help our clients and our excellent standing with HMRC means that we can make sure you don’t fall foul of their regulations, while claiming your maximum tax relief. We can even take care of all that paperwork and deal with HMRC on your behalf too. Call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
This page was last updated on 06/11/2018.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts introduce the thorny subject of capital allowances and how to treat these in your tax return.