Finding a lost UTR number

2 mins

Our experts at DSR Tax Refunds know how hard it is to find good, quality information about HMRC’s tax regulations that is easy to understand, and that’s why we have created these handy guides to tell you everything you need to know. Our aim is to make life easier for our clients and that is why we want to share our expertise with you. You can also call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
How can you find out a lost UTR number?
We get it, there is so much to remember these days – PINs, online banking passwords, passwords for your email and all your different online accounts. And on top of that, you have to remember a whole load of other numbers for your taxes – as well as your National Insurance number, you also need to know your UTR (unique taxpayer reference).
When you register for Self Assessment or set up a limited company, you will automatically be sent your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) through the post. It is a 10-digit number, possibly with a ‘K’ on the end and it might be simply called your ‘tax reference’.
Losing important information is never great but there’s no need to panic if you have lost your UTR. You will be able to find it on any of your Self Assessment correspondence with HMRC, so you will find it on your previous tax notices or payment reminders and you will also be able to find it on your HMRC online account, so you can just log on and see what it is.
If you still can’t find your UTR information, you can also call the Self Assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310 (textphone 0300 200 3319) and HMRC will be able to help you.
How can DSR Tax Refunds help?
We aim to make life as simple as possible for our clients and that includes giving you the information you need to make your taxes (and your life) simpler and less stressful.  Our team of experts at DSR Tax Refunds are always on hand to help our clients and our excellent standing with HMRC means that we can make sure you don’t fall foul of their regulations, while claiming your maximum tax relief. We can even take care of all that paperwork and deal with HMRC on your behalf too. Call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
This page was last updated on 26/10/2018.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts introduce the thorny subject of capital allowances and how to treat these in your tax return.