Getting your SA302 tax calculation

3 mins

Our experts at DSR Tax Refunds know how hard it is to find good, quality information about HMRC’s tax regulations that is easy to understand, and that’s why we have created these handy guides to tell you everything you need to know. Our aim is to make life easier for our clients and that is why we want to share our expertise with you. You can also call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
What is an SA302 calculation?
There may be occasions when you are asked to provide proof of your earnings over the past few years, perhaps for a mortgage application or because you are self-employed and therefore don’t have payslips to prove your income. You can ask HMRC for an SA302 calculation, which is a document which gives evidence of your earnings over the last 4 years. You can get this once you have sent in your Self Assessment tax return.
You can also ask for a tax overview for any previous tax year to show how much tax you have paid in that tax year. A tax year runs from 6th April to the following 5th April.
How do you get these documents?
If you file your Self Assessment tax return through HMRC’s online Self Assessment service or through commercial tax software, you can print your own tax calculation and overview. You need to check that your mortgage provider (or whoever needs to see these documents) accept documents that you have printed yourself – not all do. You need to wait 72 hours after sending your tax return to be able to print these documents.
To print your own documents via the HMRC Self Assessment online service, you need to log into your HMRC online account and then go to ‘Self Assessment’ and then ‘More Self Assessment details’ and you will then get the option to print this documentation.
If you use commercial tax software to complete your Self Assessment tax return, you will need to use that same software to print your SA302 documentation. Because commercial software sometimes differs from HMRC’s own online service, it might have a different name such as ‘tax calculation’ or ‘tax computation’. If you can’t print these details for any reason you need to contact the company who makes the software you use. HMRC won’t be able to help you with commercial software although you would still be able to print out a tax overview from your HMRC online account.
How can DSR Tax Refunds help?
We aim to make life as simple as possible for our clients and that includes giving you the information you need to make your taxes (and your life) simpler and less stressful.  Our team of experts at DSR Tax Refunds are always on hand to help our clients and our excellent standing with HMRC means that we can make sure you don’t fall foul of their regulations, while claiming your maximum tax relief. We can even take care of all that paperwork and deal with HMRC on your behalf too. Call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
This page was last updated on 26/10/2018.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return