Telling HMRC about a change of address

3 mins

Our experts at DSR Tax Refunds know how hard it is to find good, quality information about HMRC’s tax regulations that is easy to understand, and that’s why we have created these handy guides to tell you everything you need to know. Our aim is to make life easier for our clients and that is why we want to share our expertise with you. You can also call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
How to update your address with HMRC
If you live in the UK and pay your income tax through PAYE, it’s really simple to update your address details with HMRC. You can change your details quickly and simply by logging onto your Government Gateway account. To use this service, you will need to have an account on the Government Gateway (if you haven’t, you can set one up – we’ll talk you through that next). You will also need to have your National Insurance number to hand.
To set up a Government Gateway account, you need to enter your name and email address and create a password for your account. You will then be given a user ID on screen – make a note of this because you will need it every time you log in. When you then log into your account, you will need to get an access code from HMRC to make sure that there is no unauthorised access to your account. You can receive your access code by text message, voice call or through the HMRC app. Each time you log into your Government Gateway account you will be asked to provide an access code. Once you have logged in you will be asked for your details, including full name, date of birth and National Insurance number so make sure you have all of these to hand. As soon as you have created your Government Gateway account, you will be able to use it to update your details as well as access other HMRC services.
Once you have logged in, you can update your address details. This will also update your address for National Insurance, State Pension and any tax credits or Child Benefit you are entitled to as well as for your Income Tax.
You can’t use this method to update your details for Self Assessment, for business tax or if you live abroad, nor can you use it if you also want to inform HMRC of a change of name.
How can DSR Tax Refunds help?
We aim to make life as simple as possible for our clients and that includes giving you the information you need to make your taxes (and your life) simpler and less stressful.  Our team of experts at DSR Tax Refunds are always on hand to help our clients and our excellent standing with HMRC means that we can make sure you don’t fall foul of their regulations, while claiming your maximum tax relief. We can even take care of all that paperwork and deal with HMRC on your behalf too. Call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 – we’re the tax experts you can trust.
This page was last updated on 25/10/2018.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.