What is a P800

3 mins

It’s possible that you may have heard of a P800 form, but maybe you have no idea what it is or what it means for you. After all, HMRC have a whole host of forms all beginning with a P and they all have something to do with tax but other than that, they give no clues away. Well, worry no more! We at DSR Tax Refunds are experts in all things tax so let us put your mind at ease with our useful guide to the P800 form. And if you get to the bottom of this page and you still have questions, give one of our friendly team a call on 0330 122 9972 and let us help you.

So, what is a P800 form?

Basically, this form is the way that HMRC inform you that you have paid the wrong amount of tax for a particular tax year. It breaks down how much you have been paid and how much tax has been deducted from that income. Whether you have paid too much tax (best case scenario!) or you have paid too little (not the best news you could hope for), you will get a P800 form to let you know.

And of course, if you have paid too much tax you are entitled to a refund on that tax – and maybe on a few other expenses too – so give DSR Tax Refunds a call on 0330 122 9972 and let us do all the hard work for you.

What information is shown on a P800?

A P800 is pretty easy to understand. It will detail your total income and the tax that has been deducted from your earnings. It will also show your personal tax-free allowance and also any allowable expenses (that is, expenses that were necessary to keep your business going – things like mileage, accommodation and so on). And there – at the bottom of the form – it will tell you whether you are owed any of that tax back or whether you still have more to pay to HMRC.

It is possible that you might end up with more than one P800 if you are claiming tax rebates for your expenses because you can usually backdate most expense claims for up to four years – so that would be a P800 form for each tax year. The latest P800 form should show you the final amount you are entitled to as a rebate. If you are unsure about the information detailed on more than one P800, give our expert team a call on 0330 122 9972 and we will sort it out for you.

How do HMRC claim back tax that is owed?

This is never going to be welcome news but it is no cause for worry or distress. All that will happen is that HMRC will either amend your tax code to collect the extra tax owed or you will be given the opportunity to pay it directly. But they will let you know what they want you to do, they won’t leave you guessing.

And if you are owed a tax refund?

If your P800 shows that you are entitled to a refund then you don’t need to worry – HMRC will get in touch to repay you.

However, just because you haven’t been sent a P800 doesn’t mean that you might not be entitled to a tax rebate – and if you haven’t been sent a P800, you will need to claim that back yourself. If you think that applies to you, give our friendly team of tax experts at DSR Tax Refunds a call on 0330 122 9972 and we will help you get your maximum rebate fast!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.