Food tax rebate

3 mins

You can get a tax rebate for buying food? Surely not! Well, not for your weekly supermarket shop but under certain circumstances you can claim tax relief on food purchases. We at DSR Tax Refunds are experts in all matters tax so let us share some of our expertise with you. Check out our handy online calculator and if you think you are entitled to a tax rebate, call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 and let’s get that started for you.

What is a food tax rebate?

Sometimes you might be asked to travel to a temporary workplace as a part of your job and this can mean that you are buying food away from home – if this is the case then you can claim those costs back as tax relief. After all, if you weren’t travelling to the temporary workplace you might have provided your own meals at a far lower cost than the food that you have to buy when you are out and about. That is the reason behind food tax relief – so you aren’t left out of pocket in these circumstances. Such costs might seem like trifling amounts but if you regularly spend £5 to £10 pounds on food per day, that could add up to a whopping £500 per year. Not so trifling now, is it?

What can you claim for?

If you are working away from your usual place of work then you can claim for all of your food and subsistence costs. Whether it is a quick coffee before work, a sandwich at lunch or an evening meal if you are required to stay overnight as a part of your temporary work placement, then you can claim those costs back – so make sure you keep your receipts. If you stay overnight and you get a subsistence allowance from your employer, if you find that it isn’t enough to cover your costs, you can claim the difference as tax relief too.

How to claim a food tax rebate?

Receipts! What you need to be able to do is prove to HMRC that you have been left out of pocket whilst working away and without receipts, HMRC won’t have any idea of how much you have been shelling out for food whilst in a temporary workplace.

If you are worried about the idea of keeping piles of receipts lying around, photos of your receipts will work just as well, as well as photos of mini bank statements if you have withdrawn cash to pay for your meals, or photos of the menu in the local café. Just take a quick snap of your receipt or menu board with your phone and keep those photos in the same folder location so they are easy for you to find when it is time to make your tax refund claim. If you’re not sure about the kind of proof you need to keep to support your claim, call our team on 0330 122 9972 and we will be happy to help you out.

What happens next?

If you are eligible for a tax refund, our team of experts will guide you through the process to ensure that you get your maximum refund and fast. DSR Tax Refunds take care of all of the paperwork and deal with HMRC on your behalf so you don’t have to. We only claim what you are entitled to, and not a penny more, so you don’t have to worry that you will end up in trouble with HMRC – we just want to make sure that your hard-earned cash ends up back where it belongs, in your bank account. Call us on 0330 122 9972 and, once we have submitted your claim to HMRC, we could even have your refund cash back with you within 21 days!

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.