All about UK tax if you are moving to the UK to work

3 mins

It can be a complicated matter as it is, moving to another country to work, without having to worry about how your income is going to be taxed. Luckily, our experts at DSR Tax Refunds are experts in all matters relating to UK tax regulations so if you are moving to the UK to work, you might find this guide really useful in telling you what you need to know about UK tax. You can also call our friendly team on 0330 122 9972 and we can help to put you on the right path.
Will you need to pay UK tax if you move here to work?
Generally speaking, if you move to the UK and earn an income, you will have to pay tax on that income if it is above the personal allowance threshold, which is currently set at £12,500. Whether your income is from a job, from savings or from a pension, if it is above the threshold, you will be liable to pay tax on it. You may also have to pay National Insurance on your earnings too.
Even if you are paid in cash, you will still need to pay tax on your earnings so make sure that your employer gives you a payslip or wageslip to show exactly how much you have been paid and how much tax they have deducted on your behalf. Keep these safe as you may need them to prove your earnings to HMRC.
How do you pay tax in the UK?
If you are employed by another employer, you will most likely be taxed through the PAYE (Pay As You Earn) system – this means that your employer will calculate how much tax you owe, through the use of a tax code issued by HMRC, and they will deduct the tax from your wages and send it to HMRC on your behalf.
If you are self-employed then you will have to use the self-assessment tax return system run by HMRC to calculate any tax you owe and pay it directly to HMRC yourself.
You would also need to use the self-assessment system if you pay tax through the PAYE system but have additional income above £2,500 that isn’t taxed at source.
If you are not sure whether self-assessment applies to you, give our friendly team of experts a call on 0330 122 9972 and they can help you understand what it is all about. DSR Tax Refunds also offer a self-assessment tax return service where they can sort out your tax return for you, as well as deal with HMRC on your behalf, so you don’t have to deal with the hassle yourself.
What if you also pay tax elsewhere?
The UK has “double taxation” agreements with a number of other countries to prevent you being taxed twice on your earnings, though the details of these agreements can vary from country to country depending on the agreement. The best way to deal with this is with expert advice – our team of specialists can make sure you’re not paying a penny more than you need to, so call us on 0330 122 9972.
What happens when you leave the UK?
You will need to let HMRC know when you leave the UK so that your tax bill can be settled – it is possible that you may have paid too much tax and can claim some back so it is really important that you do this before you leave.
What about seasonal workers?
Even if you are only working in the UK for a short time, you will still need to pay UK tax on your earnings. Usually this is done using the PAYE system. Because you will also be entitled to a personal tax-free allowance, you might find that you are due a refund when you leave the UK if you haven’t used up all your personal tax-free allowance.
Our team of experts at DSR Tax Refunds know how complicated it can get when you are dealing with all of the UK’s tax rules and that is why it pays to get expert advice – call our team on 0330 122 9972 because we are the tax experts you can trust.
This page was last updated on 09/04/2019.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.