Tax refunds for police officers

3 mins

Whether you are a uniformed officer or not, you might be entitled to a tax rebate on any expenses you have incurred as a part of your job. Our experts at DSR Tax Refunds know how hard it can be to find good, quality information about taxation matters so we have created this handy guide all about tax refunds for police officers – after all, your job is hard enough. You can also check out our handy online calculator to see if you could be eligible for a refund or call our friendly and professional team on 0330 122 9972 and let us take the weight off your shoulders.

What can police officers claim for?

Travel expenses can make up a large part of the tax refund owed to most police officers. If you have to travel to a temporary workplace as a part of your job then you are entitled to claim those costs back as tax relief. HMRC designate a site as a temporary workplace if it lasts for less than 24 months. Whether you use your own car or public transport to travel there, you are entitled to claim those costs back. This doesn’t include your usual commute though, unfortunately. If that is the only travel you do, you won’t be able to claim those costs.

HMRC approved mileage rates are 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p per mile for travel above that and you can backdate your claim for up to four years if you are eligible. And if your temporary workplace means an overnight stay, you could claim for your food and accommodation costs too. Call our helpful team on 0330 122 9972 and we will let you know how to begin your claim.

There are other expenses that you could be able to claim for too. If the following apply to you, they could make up part of your tax refund:

It doesn’t matter if you have recently left the police force because refund claims can be backdated for up to four years – call our team on 0330 122 9972 and we will guide you through the claims process. And don’t forget that if you have moved into a related field, such as security, we can help you claim your maximum refund for that too.

So, what happens now?

If you think you are owed money by HMRC, call our expert team on 0330 122 9972 and let’s get started on your claim. DSR Tax Refunds deal with all of the paperwork as well as dealing with HMRC on your behalf because we aim to take away all of the hassle of the refund process for our clients. You don’t need to worry that you will end up in trouble with HMRC because we only claim what you are entitled to and not a penny more. DSR Tax Refunds are rightly proud of our good standing with HMRC and all our refunds are 100% HMRC-safe. And best of all, once we have submitted your claim your money could be back in your bank account where it belongs within 21 days.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.