Approved mileage allowance payments

3 mins

You may have heard of the term Approved Mileage Allowance Payments (AMAP for short) but have no idea whether this applies to you and what you should do if it does. Rest assured – our team of experts at DSR Tax Refunds want to take the hassle out of taxation matters for our clients so we have created this handy guide to tell you all about AMAP. You can also check out our handy online calculator and if it turns out you are eligible for a tax refund on your mileage expenses, we can sort all of that out for you – just call our friendly team of tax specialists on 0330 122 9972 and let us get you your maximum rebate.

What are Approved Mileage Allowance Payments?

These are a way of minimising your travel expenses so that you aren’t left out of pocket if you use your own vehicle for work purposes. Because of that, they are only applicable to people who use their own vehicle – if you use a company car or pool car or any other vehicle supplied by your employer, this mileage allowance does not apply to you.

The idea behind the allowance is to reimburse you, not only for your fuel costs, but also for the actual use of your vehicle. They contribute towards your car tax, oil, tyres, servicing and general wear and tear on your car so you aren’t footing the bill for all these costs on your own.

Whether you use only one vehicle or more than one vehicle, then you can combine your business travel into one refund claim – the rates apply to you as an employee not to the vehicle itself.

If you have more than one job that requires you to travel in your own vehicle or to a temporary workplace, then you can claim for each job separately, keeping the full allowance for each job. HMRC will need to be satisfied that they are totally separate jobs though – if you are working for an associated employer or company, they probably won’t count that as a separate job.

How much are they worth?

The current Approved Mileage Allowance Payment rates are set to be:

These rates are set by HMRC and apply to everyone using their own vehicle for business purposes. If you regularly use your own vehicle for business purposes, or for travel to a temporary workplace, then you could be eligible for a refund on your overpaid tax and it could be backdated for up to four years – call our team of experts on 0330 122 9972 and let us get you your maximum refund.

What if you get a mileage allowance from your employer?

If your employer gives you an allowance that is equal to HMRC’s rates then you don’t need to do anything at all – you aren’t being left out of pocket according to HMRC so you don’t need to worry about it.

However, if you get an allowance from your employer but it is below HMRC rates then you can claim the difference as tax relief and this could make up part of your tax refund claim. Call our team on 0330 122 9972 and let us get started on your claim today.

So, what happens now?

If our online calculator suggests you could be eligible for a refund, call our team of tax preparation experts on 0330 122 9972 and let us sort it out for you. We take care of all the paperwork for you and the money could be back in your account in 21 days once we have submitted your claim to HMRC.

Call our experts

Let’s get started on your tax rebate or self-assessment return

You May Also Be Interested In

Our experts have collected an extensive range of handy informational resources across a number of common taxation areas. If you can’t find what you are looking for here, check out our Resources section.